Sunday, May 20, 2007

Whitsunday


Easter came and went so fast, here it is Pentecost (May 27)! The image above is a watercolor painting I worked on for the past year, and dedicated to my church on Easter Sunday this year. The painting is called, "Risen," and represents the risen Christ, who no longer needs the cross. The flowers vine and engulf the cross, which falls back into the thicket. Notice the darker, nebulous imagery beneath the cross, which give way to more distinct and beautiful flowers as flowers rise above the cross. This is not to say that I discount the icon of the cross. No, indeed, but that Christ has overcome the world and we are to rejoice!
As a rather new Anglican learning the beauty of the church year, at least for my own notes, I'll post a brief description of Pentecost: Whitsunday or Pentecost commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles. Whitsunday was originally "White Sunday" referring to the white robes worn by the newly baptized. It is the seventh Sunday after Easter and corresponds to the Jewish holy day which also bears the name "Pentecost."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home