Thursday, September 14, 2006

How dry I am...

I was about to start teaching last year when Katrina hit. We were out of power and water for a week, so I had to delay music lessons for a week. This year...I began teaching again this Monday, and by Thursday, Vicksburg's water main broke, and left the entire city without water for 24 hours.

See how brave our mayor is. He's standing over the hole in his shorts and striped polo shirt. Just like Fred Flintstone, standing over the gravel pit and brontosauruses (i)? What is the plural for that kind of dinosaur, eh?

I can't tell you how wonderful the shower felt tonight! It was nice to have power, despite the lack of water, the lack of planning on the city's part, and the store's parts (for not stocking water in a town that often has to boil tap water). I almost sent Al to the store last night to get us some water, because we only had 2 gallons in storage from last year's hurricane. But, I thought I'd beat the crowds and get to the store at 7 am. What a joke. The shelves were bare!

The thought of boiling water to wash dishes in, the fear of evil critters in the water--disgusts me beyond belief. I think I've run out of patience with the world, especially Vicksburg. We never once had to boil water in Minnesota. Unless we were making tea, or pasta. How I miss my Minnesota home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger West Coast Awakening said...

Lest anyone forget, Minnesota has winters. As in 30 below zero with wind chills of 75 below. So, you have a few problems right now, so what?

Water pipes bursting, cars not starting, winter blues and hocky games forever - not exactly a paradise, is it?

12:18 PM  
Blogger MsBliss said...

I know, my gardening friends back in Minnesota have told me I'm forgetting what a Minnesota winter is. But other friends there tell me there really isn't much winter any more. Nor much hockey since there was a big strike or something (I vaguely recall anyway, since I'm not a sports fan.) You are right Larry Who, a Mississippi winter is like a 6-month Minnesota autumn. This year we are expecting colder than normal, so maybe--just maybe--the MS school kids will finally get their 'snow day.' They just had a 'no water day!' Yeah, I just can't think of one place that doesn't have problems. Gotta make the most of it! Especially since you are catching me complaining...!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home